Green Deal for Tenants

What Can Tenants Expect From The Green Deal?

Tenants can apply for the Green Deal as long as they have the consent of the landlord. The landlord can also apply for the Green deal as long as they have an agreement with the tenant. Because the Green Deal will be benefit both the landlord and the tenant it is hoped that there will be a large take up of the initiative in the private rented sector.

According to the Department of Energy & Climate Change “the private rental sector has the highest proportion of least energy efficient homes – 5.8% of G rated properties compared with 3.4% in owner-occupier.” It appears that this sector has the most to gain both for tenants and for landlords.

Social housing tenants can also benefit from the Geen Deal. Across the country councils are gearing up to take advantage of the low borrowing rates that will be available through the Green Deal. Councils are well versed in larger scale projects to take advantage of the Green Deal and are used to working around occupied properties.

On benefits or Unemployed?

People who are claiming benefits of any sort can still apply for the Green Deal, as long as you are the energy bill payer at the property (i.e. you pay the gas and electricy bill). The first step to applying for the Green Deal will be to contact your landlord, in some cases this will be your local council. As a tenant you are entitled, by law, to apply for the Green Deal with the landlords permission and recieve grants for electric showers and boilers.

“Many householders in older properties, and those on benefits or low incomes may qualify for extra financial assistance. Call the Energy Saving Advice Service (England, Scotland and Wales) on 0300 123 1234 or visit to see if you’re eligible.” taken from

(the website is under going an update at present, our advice would be to call the help line to see if there is extra financial assistance available at this time) Feb 2013

The Green Deal and the law

In the longer term from April 2018 it will be unlawful to rent out a house or business premise which has less than an “E” energy efficiency rating. This will mean that all properties will eventually have to have both an up to date Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) and have a rating of E or above to be rented.

First step to apply for a Green Deal: Find an Assessor in your area Or find a Green Deal Provider who will send their own approved Assessor. Find general information on national homebuyers schemes at and keyworkers schemes here.



Was this page useful or do you need more information?